Saturday, April 4, 2009

Bottle It Up

I’ve attended Sugar Bar on iconic nights… I twittered every second of Brody Jenner’s visit… I’ve attended other venues on iconic nights… Let me say this in capital terms… I have never experienced anything close to what I experienced Friday evening…

Prior to my arrival at Sugar Bar, I had expectations for the evening… As I said, I attended Jenner’s appearance… However, I had zero comprehension of what awaited me, as I walked the concrete from the Frog Bear and Wild Boar to Sugar Bar… Upon my arrival, one fact was immediately obvious… This was not Jenner’s appearance…

I walked the entrance carpet and through the doors, arriving below upper mezzanine, adjacent from the coat check area… As I said on twitter, the only appropriate word was wow… The couch area was crawling… The stairs held a slight path… However, the upper and lower mezzanine and the dance floor was crushed… Not crushed as in the typical sense… Not crushed as in you could barely walk toward the bathroom or the stage or another area… Crushed as in completely impassable…

With fifteen minutes until Donnie Wahlberg’s appearance (he was apparently running slightly behind schedule), I settled to the left of the upper mezzanine, where Chris Corso, Mike Gallichio, Brian Swanson, Gonzo, and two dozen bunnies were roped off inside the evening’s prime piece of real estate… I debated in my mind, text someone, let them know I am here… I knew if they knew I had arrived, I would end up in that real estate…

Approximately, five minutes after that thought traversed its way through my mind, I spotted Gallichio walking past me… We hugged… We shared a quick exchange… He exited, he returned, and not ten minutes after I had desired entrance, I gained entrance… Upper mezzanine, inside the ropes, with the crème de la crème of city nightclub society…

As I settled myself within the mezzanine, it didn’t take seconds to realize this was location… It didn’t take seconds to realize that anyone of the thousand screaming masses on the floor or behind the ropes would trade places with me in a second… Swanson and I talked… Corso and I talked… Amidst the multiple digital flashes and the crush, it wasn’t lost on any of us that we were the envied…

It also wasn’t lost on anyone that Gonzo had made his triumphant return to Sugar Bar… I know I’ve discussed Gonzo previously, but all prior words now seem inadequate… From the moment I walked into upper mezzanine, you could tell that Gonzo was within ecstasy… Spitting perfect phrases, texting, talking, enjoying the music… Gonzo owned the initial portion of the evening… I’ve said this before, I will say this again… When you have the chance to listen to an artist with passion… Savor it… There is nothing better in this world…

Speaking of master craftsman, DJ Samurai was completing the tone for the evening… From throwing a remix beat under “Creep” and “Lose Your Love” to, for the second straight night (although by another artist), throwing a dance beat under “Wonderwall,” DJ Samurai was incomprehensible… Dancing to his talent seemed insufficient… You wanted to frame it and sell it at auction…

And the trio with enough money to buy it at auction were standing inches from me in upper mezzanine… With smiles of satisfaction on their faces (and they deserved them for the way the night was unfolding), Corso, Gallichio, and Swanson chatted with other fortunate mezzanine mavens and stared into the throng of people, stirring with anticipation for Wahlberg’s arrival…

Forget anxiety or worry over how the night would progress…. From the moment I arrived, it was clear the titan trinity was celebrating their success… Every glance from them, every handshake with them was an affirmation… In Gallichio’s case, it was a admonition… Make sure Saturday’s column equals the majesty of this evening (I’ll return to that subject shortly)…

Finally, Donnie Wahlberg, flanked by security that would made have made glass case enclosed items jealous, arrived… Wearing jeans and a jacket, with a hat, and a bandana around his neck, he personified the street wise heartthrob that bunnies spent the better part of their adolescence fawning over… He was only inside Sugar Bar for ten minutes before stepping to the microphone…

Back dropped by a crush of bunnies, two of which were holding signs that read “Get at Me” and “Dew Me,” and eyeing a swarm of digital flashes, that would have made the Super Bowl’s opening kickoff jealous, he smiled and strutted and spoke and the bunnies swallowed every word twice… “I didn’t come to Columbus to sleep,” he implied… Trust me, no one was sleeping or dancing or taking their eyes off of the mezzanine while he was present…

The way that I know they weren’t is the crush intensified… The crush was unbelievable… In the upper mezzanine, feet from me, a rope line of five security guards, walled off heartbroken heifers, who holding cameras and pictures, were pleading for access… Alas, access, thanks to the granite wall, was denied…

The phenomenon was nothing I had ever witnessed… Jenner was famous and arguably more relevant given reality television’s success… Kirk Herbstreit is more notable within the city… Yet, he could freely walk without fear at Park Street Patio… Wahlberg was surrounded… As his presence in the venue continued, the swarm exploded… The chain grew to a sixth security guard on one side… Two security guards on the other and on the dance floor, no one was shaking their ass… Every eye was on Wahlberg…

As he took the microphone for a second time to announce that the New Kids on the Block will be returning to Columbus (the Full Service Tour) this summer, the digital flashes outnumbered the amount of people staring toward the stage (and there were at minimum a thousand people)… Wahlberg danced as the music returned… He was clearly consuming the attention….

Something else that was clear that Gonzo kept disappearing… After about an hour of watching him exit and enter the mezzanine, I discovered why… He had been seeking a song, a rare track, that Wahlberg would perform to later… Leave it to Gonzo to score huge on an already huge night… And leave it to the crowd to swell beyond what I ever conceived…

By the time Wahlberg was set to speak for the third of what turned out to be three occasions, there was literally no room to breathe at any point in Sugar Bar… The mezzanine had even engorged beyond capacity… As this occurred, my phone died, at a big event, yet again… I rapidly borrowed Gonzo’s phone to twitter a sign off, unaware of the spectacle which would ensue in heartbeats…

With microphone in hand and the music omnipresent, Walhberg strutted and straddled the line between showman and stuntman, as he performed “Full Service…” The throng was with him word for word… They were pitch perfect… He smiled, he soaked up the attention, and akin to a trapeze artist, he worked the cage bar as if it were a stripper pole… Swinging out, never making contact with the crowd, and returning… It was amazing…

As he exited the stage, encircled again by security, Wahlberg approached the ropes and was herded toward the exit… And the herd, which had crammed the outside mezzanine and the lower mezzanine and the dance floor, followed him… There was a literal stampede of people, who all night had begged for access into where I was standing… They were now chasing Wahlberg into the street… The sheer volume of the delirium of the heifers and the lengths they would go to for one minute with their idol made me wince… It also made me realize once again, why I love this website…

Throughout the night, the outsiders had begged for access, when I had access… They wanted to stand with Gonzo, talk with Gallichio, and be feet from Wahlberg… but I was… See the mistake everyone makes with this life is that it’s about joining the party… It’s not about joining the party… I’m part of the party and I can tell you, I don’t talk about the access or take the access because I want to say to someone, I’ve been here or done this… In the words of Wahlberg , “I do it for love…”

I also do it to say these five words to Gallichio (told you we’d return to his lobbying)… Your thoughts on the column?

13 comments:

Debbie said...

You refer to humans as heifers twice....I don't live in Ohio, wasn't there, have no idea why your self importance is so inflated, but you madame, are a royal TWAT. And if Donnie knew you were referring to his fans as such, he would agree.

Debbie said...

After reading your twitter comments, I'm thinking maybe you're a dude. Either way, you're a major ass, and I would be ashamed to reveal my identity if I were you also.

Anonymous said...

Cute.

Def. penned by a Bret Easton Ellis-obsessed, holding on to twenty-something, young adult gay male with a penchant for obscure name-dropping and a Freudian axe to grind with an obese, mid-western mother who never approved of his pre-pubescent crush on Jonathan Knight.


Brava.

MamaLuvsNKOTB said...

Wow! I'm a middle aged mom of four little boys who happened to be the one holding one of the signs mentioned. Never in my life did I think I'd even be called a "bunny"! But at least I wasn't one of the ones referred to as heifers! Thanks for the laugh!

Anonymous said...

Yes, Brody Jenner has some fame but for what, being on a reality show and being a hasbeen's son? Woopdee do. That is a real accomplishment. At least Donnie earned his fame. You are a douche. Calling those crazy girls heifers is uncool. Why don't you get a real job? Maybe as a respectable journalist, instead of a piece of crap gossip columnist. Jerk.

Pamela Parrish said...

If you ever call me a heffer pal I would run you over with my chair... If ANY OF THE THEM knew you talked about their fans this way, THEY WOULD BE PISSED...

You might be some jackass male that hates them... I would find out who set that whole thing up and have them fired...

You on the other hand need to keep your personal feelings out of an online column..

Ever stop to think that some people can't pay the big bucks to be at something like that.. I waited at the busses til it was time for me to leave on my Mainstream service..

In closing.. Get yourself another job or crawl under your rock you SNAKE...

Pamela Parrish said...

I also wanted to add... I am on a limited income and the big $$$$$ are not in the cards for me right now... I am just so blessed that I was even in the same ARENA with them...

Journalists like you ought to be fired! Maybe now if Columbus wants to host another after party for another group, they may do it in a better place with a better set up as well as a classier place to do it in...

Take the money that you make from your job and ram it where the sun will never shine!

Believe me If I wasn't stuck in a damn wheelchair and dependant on a bus service I would have been there wether I was VIP or not.... A FAN IS A FAN... You need to learn that lesson....
I agree with Debbie... You are a grade a asshole!

Anonymous said...

I think you are an ass for making comments like that. That was a horrible location and set up for that event. That staff was horrible. Sugar Bar should have been sooo happy to have all those people there. You should be ashamed of yourself. Do you like being shoved and stepped on just because you want to get a shot of your fav celeb. Grow up!

Anonymous said...

you suck!!!

Julie NYC said...

The fact that this writer referred to Brody Jenner as "revelant" should tell you something about histaste in anything. This article was jibberish, I could only scan through because it was just so badly written.

Anonymous said...

"The sheer volume of the delirium of the heifers and the lengths they would go to for one minute with their idol made me wince… It also made me realize once again, why I love this website…"

This is NOT a website. It is a BLOGGER BLOG!

If you ever learn anything, learn to know when to take criticism and make changes to the aesthetics of this so-called "website".

I honestly don't care what you have to say about anything in this blog, but you definitely need to get over yourself.

This site - I mean - BLOG is on its way to failure. Take it from someone who works for a major, innovative multimedia development company. Purchase a domain name and at least learn how to use WordPress.

Just my thoughts. I am sure you won't listen - you never did before!

Good luck!

Pamela Parrish said...

Journalists NEVER LISTEN TO anyone that really gives a shit... This person is a total dipshit and nothing more... What I would like to do with every word of that crap is "Bottle it up" and shove it up his or her ass!

Donnie if you read this... All your fans love you and the guys.. We would back them up anytime.... They do not need this trailor trash slamming the fans like that...

Anonymous said...

Really? Really! I am neither a heifer nor a bunny. I am a middle aged mom who is having the time of her life reliving her youth thanks to 5 AMAZING guys from Boston.

To refer to my fellow blockheads, my FRIENDS & myself as "animals" is degrading an ridiculous. Don't get me wrong, there were "some" who lost their ever lovin mind that night and those who handled themselves with dignity and class.

I will admit...I was the "BUNNY" holding the GET @ ME sign...it's traveled with me to 3 concerts so far...my way of saying "Hey D, I'm here AGAIN."

Thisexperience was a lesson learned...I spent the extra cash to get the VIP table and wish I hadn't as the area was overcrowded and well out of control...I am glad I was in the club with D-Dub but the service given by the management and staff at Sugar Bar was downright horrid. They misled fans by promising "personal" time with D and not following through because THEY could not CONTROL the crowd they had allowed in.

Poor, Poor, Poor customer service.