Tuesday, December 9, 2008

BREAKING: Columbus Crew Coach Quits

10 TV: Sigi Schmid will not return next year as coach of the Columbus Crew after leading the team to its first Major League Soccer Cup. Schmid confirmed that he is looking at other coaching opportunities in an exclusive interview with 10TV's Dom Tiberi.

"My decision is not to return to Columbus," Schmid said by telephone from California. "I don't have anything right now confirmed, but it's a situation that allowed Columbus to move ahead as well."

Schmid has already met with officials from the expansion Seattle Sounders. "It was a very difficult decision," Schmid said. "I love the fans. I love my players, and everything about it last year was a dream season."

Schmid won the coach of the year award after leading the Crew to the league championship. Columbus defeated the New York Red Bulls 3-1 in the MLS Cup title game on Nov. 23 in Carson, Calif.

Talk about cupping and running… He wins a title and he bolts? Did Jim Tressel or Bill Belichick or anyone else who turned a franchise take their title and leave town? Coach Sig… I’ll never understand this decision, but let me be the first to say, Columbus is thankful for all you did, even if that was only winning an anonymous title in a second rate league no one cares about…

No comments: