Monday, January 12, 2009

Voinovich Announces Retirement

As Gossip Cbus first reported, Senator George Voinovich announced his retirement on Monday. “After prayerful consideration and much thought, my wife Janet and I have decided that I will not seek a third term in the United States Senate,” the 72-year-old said. “These next two years I serve in office will be the most important two years that I have served in my political career. I must devote my full-time, focus and energy to the job. In my life I have never seen the country in such perilous circumstances.”

After resigning as Lieutenant Governor, Voinovich defeated Dennis Kucinich and served as Mayor of Cleveland from 1980-1989. He then defeated Anthony Celebrezze and served as Governor from 1990-1998. Elected Ohio’s 59th Senator, he served as junior senator until 2006. Since 2007, he has served as Ohio’s senior senator.

“Those of us that have been given the honor to serve in these times must step up to the plate and put this country on a course that will see it through these harrowing times and make it strong and viable for the 21st century,” Voinovich said.

No comments: