Saturday, January 17, 2009

Quick Read

As I scanned an anemic Saturday front page, my eyes were drawn to one piece… “Bird Strikes Common at Airports in Columbus.” This piece was enterprising, well written… It was the perfect sidebar piece… FOR THURSDAY, the day the U.S. Airways crash happened…

The sluggish edition went from bad to worse, with metro featuring a story on the Short North robber, which gave me nothing more than I already knew… Newspapers, if you’re going to insist on covering the same stories we do, you could at least do some reporting… You have more time…

The Dispatch’s lone bright spots were Life and Arts excellent pictorial of the previous two days winter weather and an interesting metro section front-page column on fire hydrant procedures… Never has a potentially boring subject been made so readable…

Finally, I want to take a moment and personally address a commenter to this blog, who (besides ranting about the Columbus Crew), said that dissecting a newspaper and posting about it has to be a new level of lame… Some people love this feature; some people hate this feature (and I have the e-mails to prove both)… The point of this section isn’t to please anyone, its to provide analysis of what we are reading and hopefully make those typing the columns more attune to what we want.

2 comments:

Ryan Kozlowski said...

It's cool. No big deal, I just get annoyed when people bash the Crew. I think for the product they put on the field last year they deserve better.

I'll give you props for a professional response, everyone has their own opinion of what exciting is.

Ryan Kozlowski said...

Btw, I don't think one person's opinion of what Columbus wants in their paper can count for the whole city.

My blog has had over 700,000 hits in less then a year and 30,000 radio hits. I'm pretty sure there is some interest out there.

Plus, the 2,000 person section in the corner is in my opinion(everyone has their own) the best thing I have done in Columbus. And, I have been to an OSU game and Blue Jackets, etc. Each has their own plus and minus, and I wouldn't personally diss any. Rather rep the hometown teams.