Sunday, January 11, 2009

Acknowledge Me

A certain vibe is set when you enter a bar and Michael Jackson is the first thing you hear. It was my third time at Mcfaddens but the music was already winning me over… Looking around the room as I walked up to the bar, I noticed there weren't too many sweaters, a shame only due to the fact that mine was so enthrallingly ugly. One vodka and tonic, a look around the room and I realized the upstairs might have something to offer…

At first I was a little on the fence about how the night was going to go, when suddenly things began to look up... Like a goddess, she emerged from the balcony... I'm not usually one who stares, but she stuck out. Other beautiful women were arrayed in their own little groups… spread around dancing, drinking, laughing… they were a visual feast really. But, Amanda (that was her name), owned my attention… She looked at my cup questioningly, and then came over. She told me her name and said she wasn't sure how I managed to get a happy hour bracelet. Honestly neither was I but I gave her my best explanation. She walked away leaving me feeling somewhat unaccomplished… It was time to go back downstairs…

My slight discouragement was quickly forgotten when they announced that I should stand up in honor of looking identical to Prince. I've been told I resemble the singer before but never publicly. They made me rise from my seat and wave to the whole crowd... Suddenly, I went from random bar patron to an attraction…

I knew I had put myself out there… But I can't even begin to tell you how many people were willing to just start conversation. From a has been town mayor to a DJ named Steven Sribb from California, the range of personalities were constant…

Halfway though the night I heard the call for the ugly sweater contest. It seemed as if eyes came upon me like I had no choice. I was asked to show just how proud of this horrible sweater I was. The DJ again shouted "Prince!" over the PA and shouts of excitement flooded the room. I couldn’t be certain, but the census seemed to already be on my side. A group of ladies even asked me to take off my shirt, and I couldn’t deny that… Then it was down to two… They asked for everyone besides the stripped sweater contestant and myself to leave the top of the bar. Once again the crowd shouted in my favor for victory.

I walked away with two hundred tax-free dollars and a night I'll never forget. Ugly sweater or not McFadden’s is definitely a place that welcomes you in with open arms, and never forgets who makes a bar.… those who are drinking...

Story: Adam Palmore

No comments: