Friday, May 22, 2009

Champions Commence Thursday Night Live

While no one watched, two champions prepared. They assigned their employees… They discussed strategy and tactics… They prepped their entrances… They reviewed their procedures… Their work was rote, tedious, and unappreciated… Yet, everyone labored with the knowledge that this work could win or lose the evening…

As Thursday Night Live commenced, Sugar Bar was scattered… Amidst a conversation with Shawn Money (who I had several conversations with throughout the evening), I observed a line that was noticeable, yet was confined within ten feet… One week ago, the awaiting masses consumed half a block

The clutches may have been random… However, the platinum bunnies were spectacular… Whether they were flirting with Shawn Money, as one twenty-year-old was or consuming free drinks in the walkway, as an exquisite, black dress bunny was, the visual obliterated any concerns or thoughts about the average arrivals…

Upon my arrival at Lodge Bar, their crowd was also sluggish… This provided me an opportunity to speak with Joe Information, whom I’ve mentioned previously… our wide ranging conversation (our conversations are consistently wide ranging) covers the evening and of all subjects boxing… It’s what I value about the closeness of my relationships with various employees; you are constantly scoring insights into their personalities… (Although Joe’s insight, his hatred of Floyd Mayweather, is ridiculous)…

For Lodge Bar’s first quarter, boxing is the appropriate metaphor… Lodge Bar didn’t win the first round…. However, they weren’t embarrassed either… Their crowd was expanding and respectable… And their bunnies and platinum bunnies were noticeable… As I returned to Sugar Bar for the second stanza, I knew this night could be interesting…

One hour into our twitter coverage, Sugar Bar’s exterior met anyone’s expectations… The line threatened to extend into an alley… As for Sugar Bar’s interior, the dance floor was crushed… There wasn’t visible space… There weren’t walkways… There was simply a cascade of people grinding and shaking….

When a venue’s population increases, I typically count this as wanted… Unfortunately, as I stared toward the collection of heifers and randoms which inhabited Sugar Bar’s dance floor, I reconsidered my entire thought process… Essentially, Sugar Bar swapped their first frame platinum bunnies for second frame total population… Population is population is population and population is needed… Yet, platinum bunnies are not negotiable…

Also not negotiable was Lodge Bar’s vastly improved second quarter… While their dance floor was vacant (which is rare for this venue), their upper and lower bars were swarmed and their walkway was virtually impassable… I stood and viewed the ever expanding crush from several angles and each screamed similar affirmations… This was Lodge Bar’s quarter…

Seconds ago (unless you are a very slow reader), I mentioned that the dance floor was vacant… The bunnies may not have been grinding, but they were present and scrumptious… I know you’re reading this and thinking, how much of a factor was the primping sex in my round by round evaluation… I’ll respond with this… They weren’t the factor, but when the total population is even, bunnies win the contest…

Another factor was DJ Legend, who completely overmatched DJ Samurai… Now, I will say this without hesitation, I sincerely respect DJ Samurai… He possesses skills… Unfortunately, his song selections never change… You can set your blackberry alarm by them… The rotation never alters… The sequence never wavers… I can recount his set list and I don’t even have to attend the event…

Conversely, DJ Legend is eclectic and exquisite… Whenever he spins, I know I will hear sequences or songs I haven’t or I never thought possible… Tonight’s marquee moment, another brilliant exhibition, was “Clothes Off” and “When I Grow Up” played consecutively… You don’t think of either as club or dance selections necessarily, but the pairing was perfect…

As Sugar Bar’s third quarter commenced, random was an apt description… From the overly tattooed female passed out in an alley to the heifer who walked past wearing a camouflage dress, the venue’s swap of quality for quantity continued… Obviously, numbers are important… But, any venue can rack up numbers… It’s the impression those numbers make…

The impression the venue’s interior made was incredible… The dance floor and lower mezzanine transcended crushed… And the stage was as crammed as I had ever witnessed… I knew a moment would occur, a moment always occurs, when one of these venues would draw a line and challenge the other… This was that moment… It took me less than three minutes to return to Lodge Bar with one thought… Could they respond?

Yes is the emphatic reaction… I entered the venue and immediately observed the obvious… The walkway was impassable… The dance floor was crushed… The upper and lower bars were crushed… The stage was crushed… Lodge Bar had taken Sugar Bar’s virtual flourish and responded with a shot to the mouth which would have made Manny Pacquiao applaud…

Eventually, I negotiated the crush and relocated to left of the stage… The platinum bunny visual was spectacular… They were dancing, they were singing, they were grinding… They were canoodling and coercing every chaser they could make eye contact with… Even the random basketball jersey wearers I referenced on twitterEven one of them collected a cupcake

When I returned to Sugar Bar, their crowd was scattering… The stage remained swarmed… However, the couch klatch and the lower mezzanine were reduced… The cove was almost vacant… As I shared consecutive shots with Avi Primetime and Shawn Money, the outcome wasn’t announced… It wasn’t conceded… But, it was implicit and understood… Despite the two premiere male promoters in this city, Sugar Bar would lose…

And they did… Lodge Bar was equally scattered as their conclusion arrived… Yet, their dance floor and upper and lower bars maintained the crowd required… their championship label had been thoroughly challenged… But, the championship remained within their hands…

While no one watched, two champions culminated their evening… One had endured an onslaught and survived… One remained proud and unashamed… As both cleaned and counted cash, scoured and swept, they labored with one universal thought… Rematches and victory within them are always possible…

No comments: