Saturday, May 23, 2009

HML: Personalities Punctuate Perfect Evening

Personality is imperative. Interactions can overcome perceived stereotypes. They can overcome physical imperfections. They cannot overcome personality. Personality eases the introduction, instigates the conversation, and secures the relationship.

Upon my arrival at Lodge Bar, the venue was buzzing. I know I’ve discussed what a late city Columbus is, but Lodge Bar’s recent pre-evening crowds have been impressive. This is not a negligible accomplishment. Ours is not a post work city. Ours is not a drink then dine city. However, Lodge Bar’s excellent promotions are producing the previously unthinkable… consistent crowds…

Aside from their promotions, another potential reason for the venue’s success must be this city’s premiere drink slinging staff (yes, I said it)… While I have discussed several, the prime example of the venue’s comfortable conversationalists is Matt Delight, a slinger who I assume has never spent one second not amused with his environment or the thoughts in his own head…

Whether instructing a customer to finish their pitcher, because as he said it, he doesn’t refill half empty containers or subtly mocking someone who praises someone else’s service, Matt’s contented persona, obvious intelligence, and sharp sense of humor are a sight to see… As one observes his interaction, you can only imagine that he might still show up for work, even unpaid, just to make himself and his colleagues giggle…

Contrasting Matt’s humor was the serious subject of handicapped assistance, which was represented by the Canine Companions for Independence, a non-profit organization which enhances disabled lives by providing trained assistance dogs… On this evening, CCI raised $1,000 and while I could spend a half dozen paragraphs discussing the worthiness of their organization, I must spend two sentences praising another philanthropic act by Lodge Bar… They could simply rack sales… That’s most venues aspiration… Yet, they constantly repay their community… I applaud them (and you should also)…

What I cannot applaud is the (once again) random fashion of this city… While most eyes were affixed on the Cleveland Cavaliers-Orlando Magic contest, my eyes (and they are gorgeous) were affixed on the various bunnies, heifers, and randoms that inhabited the main room and the patio…

From the inordinate amount of skin that those who should never showcase skin showcased to the shaved head who walked obliviously with his glasses backward on his head to the most perplexing sighting of the evening, a platinum bunny, whose platinum status I instantly revoked when I witnessed her cradling a Dooney and Bourke purse… Lodge Bar’s panorama was equally intriguing and insipid… As I said at the outset, an early crowd is not a negligible accomplishment… They are simply are a nauseating atmosphere…

Since I’ve mentioned applauding, I must praise Lodge Bar General Manager Pat West, who simply makes me smarter whenever we speak… Inevitably, most conversations with management involve several sentences about competing venues… Most allow the words to center on the competition aspect… Pat never does… His insight and perspective are among the most valuable I encounter… They are among the most rationale and responsive offered within this city…

After three hours of registration, Lodge Bar awarded the first set of Kenny Chesney tickets to a fan, who as soon as she heard her name, bolted screaming toward the stage with both hands held high in the air… I expected excitement, but seriously, why en route to the collection of the reward? Couldn’t she have just screamed amongst her friends?

Approximately ten minutes after the screaming subsided (or the ringing in my ears subsided), I commenced a conversation with WCOL’s Joe Boxer, whom I’ve always considered one of this city’s radio superstars… Thirty seconds into our conversation, I remembered the origin of my opinion…

Granted, we spent most of our conversation discussing this website, but we could have discussed the phonebook and I would have been equally entertained… Joe is an exemplary individual… He is simply one of the most authentic, engaging people that one could encounter…

Within minutes of midnight, the second pair of tickets, as well as two posters and a tailgate package were awarded… As I walked Vine Street en route to my second event of the evening (which you may have read about already), I mused about the personalities of the previous three hours… Their genuineness and sociability are why I heart my life (HML for instant message purposes)…

No comments: