Friday, June 12, 2009

Talent, Truffles Present Material Treasure

Column material isn’t obvious. Column material doesn’t introduce itself via an engraved invitation. It must be conceptualized, examined, polished, and resolved. It’s availability must match it’s omnipresence.

Theoretically, Thursday Night Live was this evening’s subject. I would discuss the third edition of our series, but the recapitulation would resemble a comprehensive analysis of the Manny Pacquiao-Ricky Hatton contest… It would be brief and brutal…

This was not two weeks ago when Sugar Bar scored victory, despite their random recital… This evening, Sugar Bar’s platinum bunnies were spectacular… Lodge Bar’s population was nonexistent… If the Detroit Red Wings and Pittsburgh Penguins needed a vacant venue in which to discuss strategy prior to their game seven skirmish, they could have utilized Lodge Bar…

Thankfully, Maxwell captured my interest amidst the silence… It’s not as if I unaware of Maxwell… He is a former WNCI host, I had heard his show, and we know several of the same people… What turned a three-minute grip and gab (that’s a handshake and hello to those of you without imagination) into a one-hour conversation was the insight and vision he articulated…

For six months, I’ve discussed this city’s miniscule market mentality… Maxwell shares my premise… We spoke for ten minutes… twenty minutes… And his words continued illustrating my thoughts… Why aren’t more premiere events staged in this city? Why isn’t this city capitalizing on it’s talent? Why shouldn’t those with talent and vision attempt to transform this city’s mindset? The dialogue was informative and intense…

I’ve had conversations with superstars that make me appreciate their talent… I’ve had conversations with superstars where ideas are concocted… Maxwell and I’s conversation motivated me to advance several of our ideas and made me value his exponential talent… Maxwell is brilliant, but brilliant is a trait shared by several in our city… It’s Maxwell’s unlimited vision which shocked my attention…

While Lodge Bar’s virtually vacant main room allowed Maxwell and I to converse, DJ AAA squandered several impressive moments in the silence… From “Break the Ice” to “I Love College,” AAA spun selections that everyone enjoys, that everyone likely indulges inside the privacy of their vehicle, but that never score space on a set list… It is unfortunate that the venue’s décor was his principal spectator…

Now, I know what you’re thinking… Three sentences prior I utilized the phrase virtually vacant, meaning a minimal audience must have been present… Minimal in numbers… Maximum in mass… This is where I return to the unfairness of comparing Lodge Bar and Sugar Bar… Sugar Bar had miniature morsels such as Brie (a future fashion show participant) on their stage… Lodge Bar had, as one bouncer phrased it, more beautiful creatures on their walls than on their dance floor…

Since I mentioned the bouncer, who I spoke with frequently, yet whose name escapes me (I apologize), I must compliment him on his aptitude… I have thirty conversations a night in this city, most are entertaining, but rare is the conversational participant who can spar with me as I praise platinum bunnies and scorch heifers… This bouncer was my equal…

From his beautiful creatures comment to stating the obvious (Sugar scored the bunnies, Lodge scored the dust bunnies), he equaled and occasionally exceeded my saucy and searing commentary on the calamity that was the venue’s crowd… In fact, there was only one moment I can remember where he was overmatched… As we both stared toward a platinum bunny, he stated that she was a diamond among coal… I responded she was more accurately a truffle amongst the pig excrement…

Over four hours, one venue was scattered. Another venue was swarmed. No storyline was obvious. Yet, a bouncer, a mixer, and a premiere talent provided column material.

No comments: