Friday, June 12, 2009

Personalities Salvage Pathetic, Weak T’s

Every column and every evening is a study is personality. Behavior can be evaluated and observed. Character can be equaled and scrutinized. Traits can be examined and inspected. Qualities can be compared and contrasted.

Upon my arrival for the Park Street Festival Kick Off, the weather was ominous. Every chair and table were occupied. A swarm encircled the area immediately prior to the stage… Still, everyone focused one of their eyes on their conversation or the stage and one of their eyes on the sky, which simultaneously taunted the mass with inciting clouds and inviting sunshine…

Approximately ten minutes after my arrival, I encounter Park Street Patio and Sugar Bar Co-Owner Chris Corso… And any thoughts I had concerning the weather were rapidly abandoned as a conversation that was equal measures awkward, entertaining, and intelligent commenced… (Trust me when I say cringed and smiled simultaneously several times)…

While the Park Street Festival and Social Room are discussed, the majority of our conversation references Corso’s work philosophy (he doesn’t believe the hours spent inside his venues are work… That must be nice) and the male anatomy (I’m not expanding upon that and don’t ask)… In this website’s existence, Corso and I have had fifty conversations, but until this one, I never truly appreciated the paradox of his personality… He is a brazen cross between Gordon Gekko and Kid Rock

Amidst Corso and I’s conversation, Park Street Patio and Sugar Bar Co-Owner Mike Gallicchio arrives. Corso alone is a venerable verbal opponent… Corso and Gallicchio as a tandem are enough to make even the most gifted of gabbers sit down and sob… They are the Hollywood Blondes with business acumen… They are Money Incorporated with insightful sarcasm…

As Gallicchio and I discuss the Social Room, the venue’s appearance on another website is broached (and no, I’m not mentioning the other website on this website)… Gallicchio mentions the link was lifted from his facebook page… I ask why aren’t we friends on facebook… He states he must be selective about his friends and Corso retorts that Gallicchio is selective, which is why his facebook includes 800 friends… The three of us exchange glances and laughs… Obviously, we are friends… But friendship is not immunity from mockery…

With split skies still overhead, the Plain White T’s took the stage. Now, I’ve overestimated certain acts previously and I will confess that this city’s taste remains a partial mystery… However, I expected the Plain White T’s would excel with Park Street Patio’s intimate exterior stage… I want everyone who has ever or will ever send me a critical response to read this (as I am only typing this once)… I was wrong again….

The Plain White T’s commenced their four song set with “1, 2, 3, 4” and they concluded with “Hey There Delilah.” None of the quintet ever appeared comfortable… They never appeared enthusiastic… And the lead singer appeared twice as if he wanted to cease playing and exit the premises… I was certain that the acoustic nature of their music would blend brilliantly with the crowd… Instead, the crowd treated the Plain White T’s as if they were simply five teenagers in plain white t-shirts playing for prom money….

As I said on twitter, if Thursday’s crowd was any indication, Friday’s concert will not be sold out… Also (and I am hoping this remains untrue), if Thursday’s crowd was any indication, Park Street Festival could be a disappointment…

Since I mentioned the Park Street Festival, I enjoyed a ten-minute conversation with Park Street Patio Promotions Superstar Tori Lioness, who appeared scrumptious in a simple white top with jeans… I will say and I assume she would as well… This weekend has to be one of the highlights of the summer calendar… Yet, she will be elated when it concludes…

I cannot conclude this column without mentioning Park Street Patio’s cupcake collection, which could rival any drink slinging contingent in this city… Jamie Precious, a platinum bunny with a matching personality, is their perfect personification… She is adorable and alluring… Entertaining and exquisite… (And she isn’t the only one)…

As I walked Park Street at the conclusion of my evening, I strode with conflicting thoughts… This city ignored another significant act… Yet, I knew this column would read significantly positive… Another study in the behavior, character, qualities, and traits that comprise my evenings.

No comments: