Saturday, June 13, 2009

Park Street Festival Minimizes Metropolis

Activity is not a singular word. I cannot comprehend those who watch a movie and assert that as activity… Activity is texting friends about a movie as you view that movie… Activity is discussing sports as you watch sports… Activity is attending a festival which encompasses this city’s premiere market, music, and strip of entertainment real estate…

Whoever conceptualized the Park Street Festival merits applause, drinks, or recognition (whichever they choose)… Instead of commencing or concluding the street with the stage (practical, but obvious), the round creation splits the environment, creating a spectacular visual with patrons arrayed everywhere…

Amidst the crowd, vendors, and venues, I encountered several people I had met previously… Whether they were professional colleagues or simply venue acquaintances, the montage of familiar faces was elating… An extensive conversation was virtually impossible (thank you zero crowd control), still the encounters reminded me that this city’s miniscule market mentality is not always unwelcome…

As I walked amongst the carnival chaos, my eyes darted between the imposing city skyline and a couple walking their adorable dachshund… For a second moment, the minor attitude of this major city was appreciated and inviting… I was walking a street I traverse every evening, yet I may as well have been walking through my hometown…

No comments: