Sunday, December 21, 2008

Excellence, Exquisiteness Equal Excellent Evening

Bunnies and music… Any venue can overcome anything if it has both… Competition, pricing, weather… The impediment is irrelevant… As long as the bunnies are spectacular and the music is stellar, crowds will place those above hesitancy they may have…

On Saturday night, the Frog, Bear, and Wild Boar Bar had both… Bunnies were everywhere and Love Sick Radio put on a uniquely impressive show. The superb combination was enough to make you forget that the roads were turning into a better skating surface than the Blue Jackets play on… At least until you walked to your car (and almost fell on your…)

Despite the awful (and that’s the most charitable word I can think of) weather, the crowd’s energy was evident… What makes Frog, Bear, and Wild Boar difficult to judge is its size… It is one of the largest in this city… This size, the weather, and the fact that everyone was either huddled in front of the stage or seeking out their drinks, made the crowd appear smaller than it was… Believe me when I say that the crowd’s energy (which is what I always judge) topped any location I have attended…

And Love Sick Radio cultivated this energy… With a furious intensity and tempo, the foursome stretched any conceivable limits… There was never a stagnate note, never a second taken off… From every song’s beginning to end, there was a ferocity you wish you saw in some NFL players… The source of this limitless passion was without question, lead singer Justin…

All four of the band members are clearly talented… However, Justin (like any good front man) is the heart which pumps the body… With the look of Billie Joe Armstrong, the scattered spirit of Anthony Kiedis, and the raw, edgy vocal talent of Kurt Cobain, Justin is a dynamic force… He walks the stage like he owns it; he plays the crowd like he owns them… The confluence of his aggression and talent were unlike I’ve ever seen…

I know it sounds like I’m gushing… I’m not and there were two areas of shall we say concern… The first being the spraying of toilet paper into the crowd (what was that about) and the second being Justin’s rendition of Lollipop… While I don’t know everything there is to know about music, I know when a band is trying to be something they are not… The first time, a rap artists lyrics from a Columbus Caucasian were interesting… The next time, I doubt it…

Since I mentioned them earlier, I must compliment on the collection of bunnies that were visible as far as the eye could see… While I have complimented McFadden’s and Sugar on their muffin menagerie, both pale in comparison to the bake sale that was visible at Frog, Bear, and Wild Boar… Bunnies dancing, grinding, playing with their boyfriends, playing with anyone… their outfits were spectacular as well (let’s just say animal print on bunnies is never bad to look at)… I also saw two that were possibly Audrina Patridge’s separated at birth twins…

The beauty was not limited to the patrons… while Sugar attempted the bartenders turned Santa’s Helpers trick, Frog, Bear, and Wild Boar succeeded. Whether they were dressed as elves or in black or red with hats, every curve on every body was flattered… Most impressive was Abbi, who, with her pink, almost lingerie ensemble, looked like the present every male is hoping to receive in four days…

As I near the conclusion, I must reference the two awkward moments of the night… An engaged, apparently soon to be married (and I feel sorry for the girl who will share that bed) moron invited himself onto the stage… As the promoter is trying to make announcements, he is trying to make himself famous… I wish whoever the poor girl is luck… The second, and without question, worst moment of the night, was the intoxicated idiot who puked into a trash can… Not a trash can in the bathroom, one in the middle of the floor… Customers are ordering drinks, conversing between musical sets; he’s depositing his lunch in front of them…

As I said at the outset (and in true Christmas form), the weather outside was frightful, but the frog was so delightful… I will be back there and I hope everyone reading this joins me… Frog, Bear, and Wild Boar is the perfect place for your hookup wishes and to induce your hangover dreams…

No comments: