Saturday, May 16, 2009

Natural Successes

Essentially, alcoholic concoctions are universal. In their backyard, anyone can merge champagne and orange juice. In their basement, anyone can mix a martini. But, confronted by a dozen screaming patrons, only a few can simultaneously sustain their sanity and skill. These few are natural slingers.

Upon my arrival for Where in Columbus is Bucky the Bear, Lodge Bar was buzzing. The relaxed atmosphere and scattered conversation were perfect compliments for the early evening’s sun soaked weather. Weather which, while I am certain everyone enjoyed it, assumedly enticed away more customers than it contributed…

Since I mentioned perfect and enticing, I was within Lodge Bar’s confines for five minutes before Promotions Superstar and Natural Slinger Kattie Minx acquired my attention. Minx possesses a dozen desirable qualities… Yet, the one that attracts you the most, the one that sells her the most is she is a contradiction… Seriously… She is simple and elegant… She is effortless and exquisite…

We speak for ten minutes, every second of which her eighteen carat eyes sparkle and her thirty-six carat smile, which could light the Arena District, is evident… You wish you could turn the ten minute conversation into two hours… Minx is a delight, she is a talent, she is a hot buttered biscuit…

Speaking of hot buttered biscuits, Crown Princess Kadi was also present this evening… What I appreciate about scattered crowds is that they provide a chance to speak with the superstars and honestly, I can’t speak with Kadi enough… Every conversation, regardless of where it commences includes seven subsequent topics… They include articulate analysis and unfiltered truth… When they conclude, I always wish the next conversation could commence immediately…

From Kadi, I transition into another conversation, actually an intelligence exchange with Lodge Bar DJ Michael… I know what you’re thinking… I led with drink slingers… I’ve discussed two drink slingers… Why am I inserting a mixer into the middle of this menagerie? I will explain…

Conversation is sparring… You don’t ask a question, receive an answer, and shut up… You ask a question, the other person answers quickly, you respond, they respond, you react, and they react… Michael can spar with anyone… Our conversation ranges from discussing “Words that Work” to how Steve Rubell influenced my writing to several song lyrics, which both of us recite from memory… The free flow of dialogue is exhilarating…

Michael’s spin skills are impressive also… I know I discussed his penchant for playing appropriate music, but his own repertoire merits another stratum of respect… From “Nine in the Afternoon” to “Santa Monica,” Michael’s range was incredible… These weren’t random tracks severed for people who weren’t paying attention… These were brilliant background…

While Michael provided ambiance for the main room, Lodge Bar’s patio provided a separate exceptional environment… If you relocated everyone inside, the main room would have been swarmed… With that said, I cannot question those who preferred their conversation and cocktails amidst sun soaked scenery…

I will simply remind them as they read this column that they missed the Bucky the Bear contest, which included phenomenal prizes such as Third Eye Blind tickets, Crew and Clippers tickets… I honestly wish this contest would have had more participants… The concept was outstanding and the photos, which could have been bland, were anything but bland… This contest merited fifty entrants, instead of the fifteen I believe participated…

As the contest concluded and I traversed the steps toward Vine Street, I encountered an intriguing situation… A forty person party was set to enter, but didn’t when the lead bunny was told the cover charge would not be waved… She cursed Lodge Bar as a “sh=t hole” and the party exited

This is what I mean when I stated that only a few can simultaneously sustain their sanity and skill. If this was a backyard or basement, that bunny would have received retaliation…

No comments: