Saturday, May 16, 2009

Gonzo, Cheshire Create Callahan’s Contrast

Contrast is imperative. Cosmo Kramer is not hilarious without Jerry Seinfeld. Batman is not relevant without the Joker. Notorious B.I.G. is not successful without Sean “Puffy” Combs.

Upon my arrival at Callahan’s, the venue was scattered. The majority of the tables were occupied…. However, the second level, the main weekend event, wasn’t even open yet. As I stepped over the rope and traversed the stairs, I walked with one thought, would Gonzo receive the crowd he warranted?

I walked up the carpeted stairs, over the vacant wood floor, up another set of stairs and arrived inside the booth, where Gonzo was polishing his precision. Now, I know I just said the club was vacant and I know you’re thinking why would Gonzo work when minimal (if any) effort is required… That answer is simple… Mixing and spinning aren’t his hobby…

Despite an empty floor, Gonzo selected songs and worked the steel as if he were Chipper Jones, perfecting his swing in a stadium of empty seats… His eyes darted from the turntable to his case to his headphones, as he mapped his strategy… You could almost read his mind… Timing wasn’t important at the moment… Timing would become important…

As I marveled at Gonzo’s meticulous preparation, another person entered the booth… Instantly, I knew I recognized the person, but I could not recall when or if we had met… Two moments passed, glances were exchanged and finally, I sought the only identification means available… Gonzo and I exchanged whispers and I realized my own obliviousness… Standing within three feet of me, relaxed and texting, was the Cheshire Cat of this city, Drew Hanson…

Hanson and I swapped introductions, he complimented and critiqued this website, and we discussed several venues… Five minutes aren’t required to comprehend the Cheshire cat… Five seconds aren’t required… Hanson has opinions… He wants them shared… And if you agree, he doesn’t care… If you disagree, he really doesn’t care… Hanson’s blend of arrogant narcissism is equal parts amusing, entertaining, and incomprehensible…

I know I said this on twitter…. Yet, it is worth repeating as an encapsulation of Hanson… If confidence were cocaine, we would have discovered Hanson in a ditch at least a decade ago… Prominence produces ego and ego is productive…. Except, Hanson’s ego could encircle Ohio Stadium… (I know I am making him sound insufferable, but he was not and I assume he would make similar statements about his personality)…

I said a moment ago that while arrogantly narcissistic, Hanson is both amusing and entertaining… Whether encouraging mass consumption of a shot, dancing (and compelling you to dance), or repeating the same phrase multiple times, the Cheshire cat is the most dynamic and unique personality I have encountered in six months of this website… He was a column that wrote himself…

At approximately 11:30, Callahan’s finally removed the rope and opened the second level… The initial crowd was unspectacular… The heifers outnumbered the bunnies seven to one and no, that’s not a ratio, there was only one bunny… As I observed Gonzo, who had a triple digit temperature, who appeared as if he didn’t want to leave the stool for the next round (yes, that’s a boxing reference), my mind revisited my original question… Would he receive the crowd he warranted?

One hour subsequent, I received my answer… Despite a pedestrian start and an array of heifers, the dance floor improved… The second level improved… At approximately 12:30, Gonzo had the crowd he warranted and he savored every moment and morsel… As I darted between the booth and the floor, I observed the two components which were required… Scrumptious bunnies and energy…

In last night’s column (forget the subject for a moment), I typed that one knows when they have it… Gonzo knew he had it… Observing him after the swarm ensued was watching Manny Pacquiao in the second round… Gonzo mixed, he spun, he scratched, his hands noted the rhythm of the selection, his head noted the rhythm of the selection, he interacted with the crowd and the selection…

And his selections were exquisite… “This Is How We Do It,” “Poker Face,” “Lose Your Love,” “When I Grow Up,” and potentially the most incomprehensible mix ever… “Blister in the Sun” and “Insane in the Membrane…” Gonzo knew he had it and when you know, you don’t take a moment to reflect on your talent… You score every point you can…

While the aforesaid five selections were exemplary, Gonzo’s signature moment occurred only moments prior to my exit… With a crushed dance floor, Gonzo spun “Sugar” and the bunnies exploded… From floor level, the energy was as intense as any moment I have experienced… It rivaled when Donnie Wahlberg sang… The combination of crowd, skill, and sound were perfect….

The chorus, ripped from a regrettable pop song of this decade, echoed and you couldn’t not hear the screams… The entire evening, I had wondered would Gonzo receive the crowd he warranted? I concluded the evening at floor level, watching this crowd thank him for his skill… Gonzo may have had a triple digit temperature, but he contrasted it with unfathomable triple digit talent…

No comments: