Friday, May 1, 2009

Blue Jackets’ Inspiration Passes Away

10 TV: Ryan Salmons, the terminal cancer patient whose story of survival gained precedence during the Blue Jackets' playoff run, died Friday afternoon. Salmons was 19.

In late March, the Jackets signed Salmons to a one-day player contract. He later developed close-knit relationships with the players, most notably Jason Chimera and Manny Malholtra. "I can't put into words what this team has done for me and my drive and my morale," Salmons said last month. "It really does mean a lot to me."

Chimera said last month that it was no secret that Salmons was having an impact on the Blue Jackets and their push to the playoffs. "If this kid can fight through that, we can sure make the playoffs and do a big run," Chimera said. "Guys want to get there for him."

Included in Salmons' contract were two tickets to the team's first-ever playoff game, which he vowed to see. "We made the playoffs. That's the first step," Salmons said after the Jackets clinched a spot in the playoffs. "I believe we're going to be a good playoff team. It's just a matter of getting there. We'll see how it goes."

No comments: