Saturday, February 14, 2009

Access Columbus

For a century or so, philosophers, physicians, and poets have, in their own way, pondered one question… What is life about? I don’t know their answer, but I know mine and I believe (in my unbiased opinion), mine should be acceptable as universal… If life is about anything, it’s about access… Access to conversations with the right people, access to the right events, access to opportunities… Access, access, and access….

After spending the first hour of my evening at the Frog Bear and Wild Boar (see above), I arrived at Lodge Bar. Whereas the crowd at Frog Bear and Wild Boar was subdued and social, groups of between two and six; the crowd at Lodge Bar was scorching… The groups were eight or ten, the energy was palpable, and the bunnies (Miller Lite and otherwise) were everywhere…

Fifteen minutes after my entrance, Lodge Bar commenced their Date Auction, which benefited the very worthy Make A Wish Foundation… If only the crowd had realized how worthy the cause was… The ten employees (five men and five women) were charming… They even had little biographical spreads which accompanied their appearance (some of the material on those, obviously altered for effect)… The “Auctioneer,” while not perfect was certainly better than the calamity that voiced the Columbus Crewzers Auction… And the packages that went with the dates, great restaurant gift cards, Blue Jackets tickets, without question exceeded the dinner you received with the Crewzers…

Still, the bidding was sparse (and that’s the kindest word I can use)… The auctioneer honestly appeared to be begging at times… Mark and his Blue Jackets tickets received only one bid, Lindsay and Brittany, as gorgeous as they were, scored only slightly higher than him… Only Amanda, rocking her curves in a black dress, that I believe was spray-painted onto her, caused a bidding frenzy…

Now, money is money and obviously Make A Wish (any charity actually), will accept donations with thanks and thankful hearts… And it certainly isn’t a reflection on Lodge Bar that their patrons were lazy… Still, Lodge Bar is such a great venue and their employees are amazing people… Both deserved so much more…

With the auction concluded, I walked the sidewalk, bridge, and brick ground from Vine Street back to the Arena District for the third period of the Blue Jackets and Red Wings (once again, see above)… As the game ended, I happened into (yes, that’s a random term, but the conversation was random also) with Frog Bear and Wild Boar Co-Owner David Allsbrooks… As we spoke, I could clearly understand why his establishment is one that I enjoy… It’s a complete reflection of its exemplary owner…

As much as I enjoyed conversations with Allsbrooks and Frog Bear and Wild Boar Promoter Jeff (who I will mention again momentarily), those discussions fell miles short of the satisfaction I enjoyed speaking with Abbi… For those of you who don’t remember, Abbi was (my words paraphrased), “the present every male was hoping to receive for Christmas.”

Her personality exceeds her perfect appearance (if that’s even possible)… Her personality is delightful and sparkling, she is an engaging person, and fifteen seconds with her easily confirmed everything I had written… I have to say as someone who types adjectives about amazing people, you never know if meeting those people will live up to what you have written… Trust me I say that five minutes with Abbi was a like a country music fan scoring five minutes with Taylor Swift… Exquisite…

I said I would return to my conversation with Jeff and here is the reason… Prior to the Menus (yes, that’s actually the bands name) taking the stage, Jeff had described the lead singer to me as “heterosexually flamboyant…” I know I said this on twitter, but I must repeat it, Jeff could not have coined a better description if he had sat down and spent four hours attempting it… From the moment he took the stage, the Menus lead singer was worth the price of admission…

With the personality of Boy George and the preening of Freddie Mercury, I half expected to hear “Do You Really Want to Hurt Me” or “Radio Gaga…” Instead, I heard one of the most impressive set lists from any band I have seen… The perfect trio of “Sweet Caroline,” “Don’t Stop Believing,” and “Little Pink Houses” fell over the crowd like milk chocolate raining from heaven… And the crowd slurped every available drop (myself included)… As I left to return to Lodge Bar to conclude the night, I was beyond impressed with the Menus…

Wish that I could say the same for Jeremy Hoyle… Lodge Bar’s Friday night choice was, in a word, mediocre… He wasn’t terrible, but he wasn’t terrific… Even the crowd (which had increased by dozens when I returned) was unimpressed, as they threw up only a somber reaction to his version of “Hang On Sloopy…”

Hoyle played “Hey Jealousy,” which I loved and overall his set list was acceptable… But I have been in Lodge Bar when the crowd was so energetic that they could rip the boards from the floor… He didn’t inspire that… Thankfully, I had several great conversations to drown him out and this returns to me where I began…

As I walked out of Lodge Bar, my singular thought was what was in my opening… More specifically, how lucky I am to be able to afford everyone who cant get five minutes with a club owner or the promotions person or the best bartender… I always viewed this website and my words as a privilege and a responsibility, but never more so than this typing… Until the next time you have access vicariously, you know I love you Columbus…

No comments: