Saturday, August 1, 2009

Drew Hanson Renounces CBUS

Tonight, Drew Hanson posted the following on his facebook page…

I have spent years thinking about it, fearing it, desiring it, and losing sleep over it. When is the day I say goodbye? Mind you during that whole cancer thing it took on a whole new life or death kinda meaning... but never the less it brings me to today.

I moved to Columbus when I was 18 years old to work 5 hours a week on WNCI. It was pathetic actually but I was so hungry to make myself a giant among giants with what little air time I had and would do & sacrifice anything to do it. I wanted to be funny, I wanted to be controversial... but most of all I just wanted you to know who I was.

I accomplished everything I ever wanted to accomplish in the city I fell in love with... but like many relationships through time things have become strained and bitter. When I look at the city now I don't feel that hunger to be something great anymore. I don't feel that old feeling at 6:57pm on a Sunday before I crack the mic. I feel pain... I feel anxiety... I feel tired and broken.

I see burned bridges... I see failed relationships... I see backstabbing of friends I trusted... I see failure after failure after failure to balance every success I could ever imagine having on the scorecard of life. Sadly though the biggest and most frightening thing of all I see..... routine.

Branching outside Cbus to spin the past several months has been eye opening for me. Its given me a confidence in my abilities not only as a DJ not defined by his reputation as an "asshole" or "man whore"... but by my actual ability to do the job and do it well.

I have confidence that through the lessons I have learned through an extreme balance of success and failure I have developed a formula. My mentors have taught me if you want to make an impact on your city you must have a statewide vision. To make an impact on a state you must have a country vision... and so on. I can no longer spend my life having a vision of just one city.

On September 1st I'm leaving Columbus. I can't confirm any other fact at this point other than that. More details soon...

No comments: