Sunday, February 22, 2009

Dazzling Duos Inspire Reinterpretations

I truly can't say I've ever had a bad time at Skully's. Even though Ladies' 80's has become a weekly rotation of the same tired 80's anthems (No, I do not want to hear "Don't You Want Me" again, the Human League deserves so much better, trust me), I still make it a priority to find my way that extra bit down High street so I can indulge in a slightly different scene. Last night truly reminded me just why that is. It's almost always well populated, all the bartenders pour a great drink, and they constantly book great acts that keep me dancing all night.

This surprisingly chilly Friday night was no exception... Skully's 3rd Friday Dance Party (the name could use a little work) with three DJ's and 2 bands on stage was impressive entertainment. The bar wasn't crowded when I arrived… And I had to again remind myself that Columbus is just a late city. When I go out it always feels like there isn't much going on until maybe 10:30 or 11, which can be confusing to a San Franciscan such as myself. We have to make sure we get our parties going right from the start, which makes sense, considering our last call is at 1:30 (if you're really lucky....or really cute depending on who you're talking to). For what it lacked in the beginning, the venue made up for once everything got going.

The highlight of the evening would have to have been the amazing tag-team DJ performance put on by Sketchy Pete and Dave Espionage.... They completely killed it! Not only was the mash-up exquisitely executed, it was also done completely on the fly! It was a huge risk for these two pros to take (having never met, and not really knowing what the other may have up his sleeve), but they pulled it off… Beats aside, two good looking, intelligent men on stage making beautiful music helps me get through all my sleepless nights... and it was immediately obvious to everyone there that these two should really have a second date....

Sketchy Pete's own personal version of house and disco influenced sweaty electro was great to hear mixed with Dave Espionage's strong and rough hip hop beats… it definitely kept the kids moving. Lovely ladies always want to get down on the dance floor, and that was made that extremely possible last night.

When the guys took a break, one of the bands (Braindouble) went on, and gave a very solid performance. Included in their selections was a great Katy Perry "I Kissed A Girl" rework, (yes, I Kissed A Girl, as sung by a two-man hip-hop group)… It was an interesting twist on a song that had been mashed into an unrecognizable pulp by radio DJs far and wide.

Tag-teaming ensued once again afterwards, and the guys closed out the night on a high note, pulling out all the stops... Sketchy Pete had an amazing debut in Ohio, and Dave Espionage showed loyal fans once again that there's a reason you see his name on all the flyers around town. As the night closed out, I was reminded of my continued love and loyalty to Skully's, and officially decided to keep it in the normal bar rotation. Who knows, I may just give Ladies 80's a couple more shots....

Story: Shannon Bakies

No comments: