Sunday, March 8, 2009

On A Personal Note…

Rarely will I ever address criticism of myself, this website or it’s content on this website. I don’t believe in elevating critics. And I don’t feel as though this is the most appropriate channel for addressing criticism. With that said, I wish to address a pair of subjects, which in one form or another, have proven recurrent.

The first subject is the recent spate of e-mail and suppositions that have either slandered me personally or slandered the motivation for the content of this website or the content itself. I had no utopian optimism when this website launched… I know that if you do something different or dare to step beyond what is considered conventional, you will have critics. Some of those critics will threaten you. Others will attack you in unbelievable manners. Since this website launched, I have had both and I choose this moment to address them directly…

I will not address their epithets or hatred. Instead, I will focus on their general message that either my work is creepy and irrelevant or I must have some ulterior motivation to write what I write. As to the creepiness or relevance of my work, I believe our traffic numbers show that not only does this city enjoy or work, not only does the city find the work unique and useful, they have returned for seconds, thirds, and fourths. As to my motivation, it is nothing other than presenting an objective view of any night to this city.

Are there people I do not like in venues that I cover? Yes. That never affects the writing. Are their venues I would rather not enter? Yes. I do and the writing is not affected. Are there people who don’t like me and have told me so? Yes. It has not, nor will it ever affect the writing. And finally, as to the recent anonymous e-mails about my writings concerning Princess Kadi or Duchess Abbi or any other personnel I have discussed… I give them recognition because they deserve it. And because they are good at their job. I have no personal interest in them whatsoever. Also, I will not have my editorial content altered due to perception. Until senior management of any venue tells me to stop writing anything about anything, I will write anything I want, anytime I please. And the moment senior management demands editorial approval, is the moment I stop covering them and start covering their competitors.

The second subject I wish to address is the recent spate of anonymous comments on the nightlife wraps that are critical of the venue discussed… I know I will sound like a fifth grade teacher here, but children, take it outside… When seven comments show up on a story attacking another venue or one comment shows up on a story assailing another venue, I am smart enough to know that those comments are plants from an attacking venue.

This is neither the time nor place for one venue to assault another… If a venue doesn’t like the coverage someone else had received from us, plan a better event and invite us… Don’t use our forum as your forum.

I hope this statement resolves these matters.

No comments: