Tuesday, March 24, 2009

BREAKING: Spice Bar’s Brutal Assessment

On February 13, Gossip CBUS reported that Spice Bar would close this month. According to an employee familiar with the venue’s finances, how they remain open is a mystery.

“When we saw that report, we thought we were toast,” said the source, who spoke on condition of anonymity. “It’s not just what I’ve seen, it’s the crowds, its people who used to come here now go to Sugar or Brothers or Lodge. I’m waiting for the day I show up and the doors are locked. I cant imagine why it’s not happened.”

Given the current economic conditions, one could assume that lenient treatment or owner’s assets are sustaining Spice. Skye Bar enjoyed a similar arrangement prior to their close on January 15.

“Anything is possible,” said our source. “If you’re asking me, I cant say one way or the other, but my guess is something is being done. We aren’t the bar we were in 2006 or 2007. It’s not Chris [Corso] turning everything into gold around here. We’re in trouble. I know it. The street knows it. The city knows it. Its not if we close, its when.”

Originally developed by Sugar Bar Owners Chris Corso and Mike Gallicchio, the 6,290 square foot Spice Bar was purchased by BOMA Developer Tom Starker in October 2008. No one associated with Spice Bar could be reached for comment concerning this story.

No comments: